Retail News Breaks Archives
APhA lists top pharmacist-recommended OTCs
April 23rd, 2013
WASHINGTON – The American Pharmacists Association (APhA) has released the results of its survey on which over-the-counter products were most recommended by pharmacists to their patients last year.
APhA said Tuesday that for the study, published in the March 2013 edition of its "Pharmacy Today" magazine, over 1,000 practicing community pharmacists were asked about how many times a week they had recommended each OTC product.
The 2012 Pharmacy Today Over-the-Counter Product Survey covered 77 product categories. In 20 key OTC segments, the products most recommended by pharmacists in each category were the following:
• Adult Antihistamines: Claritin (27% of pharmacists recommended). Zyrtec was a close second (26%).
• Adult Antitussives - Dextromethorphan: Mucinex DM (36%). Delsym was a close second (35%).
• Adult Cold - Liquid: Tylenol Cold Multi-Symptom (23%).
• Adult Decongestants: Sudafed (66%).
• Adult Expectorants: Mucinex/Mucinex D/Mucinex DM (70%).
• Adult Headache Products: Tylenol (26%).
• Adult Multisymptom Allergy/Hay Fever Products: Claritin-D (32%).
• Adult Multisymptom Cold/Flu Products: Mucinex D (34%).
• Adult Multisymptom Cold/Flu Products - Nighttime: NyQuil (30%).
• Adult Multivitamins: Centrum (36%).
• Adult Topical Decongestants: Afrin (59%).
• Antidiarrheal Products: Imodium A-D (54%).
• Antigas Products: Gas-X (38%).
• Upset Stomach/Nausea Treatments: Emetrol (25%).
• Laxatives - Nonfiber: Miralax (33%).
• Frequent Heartburn Treatments: Prilosec OTC (64%).
• Pediatric Analgesics/Fever Reducers: Children's Tylenol (39%).
• Moisturizing Creams: Eucerin (25%).
• Therapeutic Skin Care Products: Aquaphor (26%).
• Topical Antibiotic Ointments/Creams: Neosporin (59%).
"Because there are over 300,000 marketed OTC drug products, it is critical that patients consult their pharmacist to maximize the benefits from these medications and minimize the potential for harmful drug interaction and/or side effects," APhA stated.