American Pharmacists Association – Profession wide Awards:
It was announced on January 14, 2020, that John Grabenstein of Easton, Md., is the recipient of the 2020 Remington Honor Medal, the highest honor in pharmacy that is bestowed by the American Pharmacists Association. Following are the additional Professionwide Award recipients:
- Hugo H. Schaefer Award – Duane Kirking Ann Arbor, Mich. The award recognizes outstanding voluntary contributions to the organization, the profession, and society.
- Hubert H. Humphrey Award – Alex Adams Boise, Idaho. The award recognizes APhA members who have made major contributions in government and legislative service at the local, state or national level.
- Good Government Pharmacist-of-the-Year Award – Brian Komoto Delano, Calif. The award recognizes an individual pharmacist who actively contributes to the community through his or her involvement in the political process.
- Honorary Membership – Linda Gainey of Alexandria, Va. Honorary membership in APhA is conferred by the Board of Trustees upon individuals, either within the profession of pharmacy or outside of it, whose activities and achievements have had a significant positive impact on public health, the pharmacy profession, and its practitioners.
- Honorary President – Tery Baskin of Little Rock, Ark. (posthumously). Honorary President of APhA is conferred by the Association upon a member who has made significant contributions to the Association. Baskin was placed on the election ballot in the Fall of 2018 and sadly passed away in the Spring of 2019 prior to being elected by APhA members as the 2020-2021 APhA Honorary President.
- Gloria Niemeyer Francke Leadership Mentor Award – Nancy Alvarez of Phoenix, Ariz. The award recognizes an individual who has promoted and encouraged pharmacists to attain leadership positions through example, acting as a role model and mentor.
- H.A.B. Dunning Award – Merck & Co., Inc. This award recognizes an exemplary contribution to APhA and the practice of pharmacy by a pharmaceutical manufacturer, provider of support products or service, or other entities such as wholesalers, chain corporations, etc.
- Distinguished Federal Pharmacist Award – Edward Norton of Oakton, Va. The award recognizes pharmacists who distinguish themselves and the profession through outstanding contributions in federal pharmacy practice resulting in significant improvements in the health of the nation and the populations they serve.
- Distinguished New Practitioner Award – Sara Wettergreen of Aurora, Colo. The award recognizes a new practitioner, within his/her first five years of practice, who has demonstrated distinctive achievements in mentorship, service and commitment to the profession of pharmacy.
- Community Pharmacy Residency Excellence in Precepting Award – Robert T. Willis of Denver, Colo. The award recognizes a community pharmacy residency director or preceptor who has demonstrated excellence in precepting, mentoring, leadership and community pharmacy residency program administration.
- Generation Rx Award of Excellence – Lucas G. Hill of Austin, Texas. The award recognizes a pharmacist that has demonstrated a commitment to the mission of substance abuse education.