Executive Summary: Everything Is New Again
E-commerce is a key digital pillar for CPG strategy. E-retail is a phenomenal growth lever, and firms are beginning to realize its potential as a powerful marketing channel as well.
- Retailers are investing to build e-commerce capabilities and simplify the shopping experience.
- E-retail development is occurring at a furious pace.
- Amazon is the top online retailer and actively setting the bar in the e-commerce competitive landscape.
CPG manufacturers can grow e-commerce sales by up to 150 percent by building a strong online presence and earning shopper awareness. Online visits influence online and in-store shopper behavior.
- Consumers visit e-tail locations to understand the latest products, trends and money-saving opportunities.
- Brick-and-mortar brands must establish a solid presence along their shoppers’ paths to purchase.
- Delivering the right message at the right time requires a keen understanding of how brick-and-mortar shoppers move in the online world.
The online “pull” environment has rendered traditional CPG marketing programs ineffective. Everything manufacturers and retailers know about competition in the brick-and-mortar world needs to be redefined in the online realm.
- In the brick-and-mortar marketplace, retailers invest significant sums of money to build inventory before brand promotion efforts truly begin.
- Online, the burden of creating demand is placed on the manufacturer, not the retailer, and demand creation precedes inventory build-out.
- Smaller, more nimble digital-first firms have a significant advantage over traditional in-store brand leaders.
Framework to Win: IRI’s Build-Drive-Earn strategy will help position traditional brick-and-mortar manufacturers to excel in the online CPG marketplace.
- BUILD a presence on e-retailers’ sites as good as owned-brand webpages.
- Use your media executions to DRIVE shoppers to your brand presence on e-retailers.
- Integrate marketing and media executions to EARN online and in-store.
To download this and other white papers, click here.