SHELTON, Conn. — Edgewell Personal Care Co. has unveiled Sustainable Care 2030, an ambitious strategy that will enable it to sustain and grow its business while inspiring a world where the joy of caring for yourself is balanced with caring for our shared planet and society.
Under the new strategy, outlined in its FY19 Sustainability Report, Caring for Tomorrow, Today, Edgewell has identified 10 overarching commitments and 27 actionable targets. While bold, it believes these targets are not only achievable over the next 10 years, but critical to delivering on its promise to manufacture well-designed and well-made personal care products with careful consideration for the well-being of society and the planet. Those targets include, but are not limited to:
- The use of 100% renewable electricity,
- Reducing use of virgin petroleum-based plastic content in products and packaging,
- Using 100% recyclable, compostable or reusable plastic packaging,
- Reducing waste by 10% and pursuing zero waste to landfill across production facilities, and
- Drive a sustainability culture by ensuring each global location has a sustainability program to take action on localized efforts.
In addition, the Company has committed to increasing its focus on promoting a diverse and inclusive workforce and developing and implementing a comprehensive refreshed global Employee Experience strategy. To ensure it is tracking against all its 2030 sustainability targets, Edgewell will collect data around progress and report against it annually.
“Sustainability is an important strategic driver for us, and core to future-proofing our business,” said Rod Little, Edgewell President and CEO. “As we continue to evolve our brands and our business, we will focus on engagement with environmental and social issues, which provide a considerable opportunity for growth – driven, in part, by sustainable product innovation and operations. In an increasingly uncertain world, what is certain is that we will continue to create products that people love to use and maintain brands that our colleagues can be proud of, all while caring for tomorrow, today.”
The 2030 strategy builds upon and advances Edgewell’s commitment to be a responsible corporate citizen and environmental steward. Notably, in FY19, the Company delivered on several of its former sustainability goals by:
- Introducing new sustainable products and packaging, including the XTREME 3 ECO Razor, with a handle made from 95% post-consumer recycled (PCR) polypropylene plastic and which is packaged in fully recyclable paper,
- Launching a new O.B. ORGANIC tampon in the U.S., which features 100% certified organic cotton and a plant-based applicator made from renewable resources or applicator-free option, and is free from chlorine, fragrances and dyes.
- Reducing to zero the carbon emissions for BULLDOG’S ORIGINAL MOISTURIZER sold in the U.K.,
- Achieving reef-friendly status for 90% of its HAWAIIAN TROPIC products produced in 2020, with a commitment to making 100% of its suncare formulas reef-friendly by 2022*, and
- Being the first international brand to receive a cruelty-free certification in China for BULLDOG
As part of its people-first, sustainable focus, Edgewell plays a key role in supporting the health and personal hygiene needs of its employees, customers and consumers and is actively supporting its stakeholders in responding to the COVID-19 pandemic. Additionally, to support the ongoing movement against racial injustice, the Company and its family of brands have together committed $750,000 to the National Urban League and continues to empower its U.S. employees to take action by matching individual donations of up to $5,000 per employee, per year, to any organization they feel will make a difference.
To view the full report FY19 sustainability report, including progress on Edgewell’s 2020 goals, and all commitments and targets in the Sustainable Care 2030 strategy, click here.