CHARLOTTE, N.C. – Pharmacist Michele Belcher, of Grants Pass Pharmacy in Grants Pass, Ore., was installed as 2021-22 president of the National Community Pharmacists Association at the organization’s 2021 Annual Convention, which was held Oct. 9-12.
In her remarks to the House of Delegates, Belcher thanked the women who preceded her as NCPA president and acknowledged the example her father set when working together at their family pharmacy. She highlighted the nearly 135 million doses of COVID-19 vaccines that have been administered by Federal Retail Pharmacy Program pharmacies, emphasizing how independent pharmacists and their teams showed their full potential during the pandemic. Discussing her focus on pharmacist scope of practice issues and changing the pharmacy payment model, Belcher said, “Now is the time to step up and invest in our future.”
Belcher graduated from the Oregon State University College of Pharmacy. Grants Pass Pharmacy has been in the community since 1933 and is the last remaining independent pharmacy in the area. Belcher is active in her state pharmacy coalition and state association and has served on task force groups for the board of pharmacy. She has been an adviser for the entrepreneurial academy at OSU College of Pharmacy and is active in state legislation, speaking before both House and Senate committees.
The House of Delegates also elected pharmacist Steve Moore, owner of Condo Pharmacy in Plattsburgh, N.Y., as the fifth vice president, the newest association officer.
n other business, NCPA’s House of Delegates – comprised of pharmacy owners and managers representing their respective states – approved position statements on several different issues including pharmacist-administered COVID-19 monoclonal antibody therapeutics, recognizing pharmacists as providers, and excessive pharmacy benefit manager audit procedures.
2021-22 NCPA Officers
NCPA delegates confirmed these independent community pharmacy owners for the indicated positions:
Board of Directors*
- President – Michele Belcher, Grants Pass, Ore.
- President-elect – Hugh Chancy, Hahira, Ga.
- Jeff Carson, San Antonio, Texas
- Lea Wolsoncroft, Birmingham, Ala.
- Jeff Harrell, Ilwaco, Wash.
- Kristen Riddle, Conway, Ark.
- Christian Tadrus, Moberly, Mo.
- Justin Wilson, Midwest City, Okla.
- Immediate Past President – Brian Caswell, Baxter Springs, Kan.
*Please note: The chair of the board has not yet been selected.
- First Vice President – Michael Kim, Washington, D.C.
- Second Vice President – Jonathan Marquess, Woodstock, Ga.
- Third Vice President – Hashim Zaibak, Milwaukee, Wisc.
- Fourth Vice President – Dared Price, Winfield, Kan.
- Fifth Vice President – Steve Moore, Plattsburgh, N.Y.