“Our profession has had many challenges in the past and we have persevered,” Osborn said in remarks to NCPA’s House of Delegates. “We can continue to persevere with the ongoing development and expansion of the CPESN network, improved quality outcomes, operating at our full scope of practice, and other practices allowing pharmacists to make a positive difference in people’s lives. People are looking for answers and we need to be ready to help. As pharmacists, we can lead the way.”
Osborn graduated from the University of Oklahoma College of Pharmacy and received his PharmD from Oklahoma University. A community pharmacist for more than 34 years, Osborn’s company includes 18 partner pharmacies in 25 locations across four states.
The House of Delegates elected pharmacist Hashim Zaibak, owner of Hayat Pharmacy in Milwaukee, Wis., as fifth vice president, the newest association officer. Zaibak’s first cousin, pharmacy owner Ghada AbuKuwaik of Clifton, N.J., placed his name in nomination, citing his contributions to his community and his role as a mentor to her. “He was my catapult” to pharmacy ownership, she said.
In other business, NCPA’s House of Delegates – comprised of pharmacy owners and managers representing their respective states – reaffirmed position statements on pharmacy DIR fees and enhanced services networks. Delegates also unanimously approved a position statement on telepharmacy, as follows:
NCPA only supports the use of technology, such as telepharmacy, to provide patients access to the services and products of community pharmacy when the technology benefits the patient, the pharmacist and the local community. Telepharmacy should only serve as an adjunct to the traditional brick-and-mortar community pharmacy, which serves as the frontline of health care access in America and the backbone of Main Street commerce.
2018-2019 NCPA Officers
NCPA delegates confirmed these independent community pharmacy owners for the indicated positions:
Board of Directors
- President – Bill Osborn, Miami, Okla.
- President-elect – Brian Caswell, Baxter Springs, Kan.
- Chairman – Michele Belcher, Grants Pass, Ore.
- Hugh Chancy, Hahira, Ga.
- Jeff Carson, San Antonio, Texas
- Lea Wolsoncroft, Birmingham, Ala.
- Jeff Harrell, Ilwaco, Wash.
- Kristen Riddle, Conway, Ark.
- Immediate Past President – David Smith, Indiana, Pa.
- First Vice President – Christian Tadrus, Columbia, Mo.
- Second Vice President – Justin Wilson, Midwest City, Okla.
- Third Vice President – Michael Kim, Washington, D.C.
- Fourth Vice President – Jonathan Marquess, Woodstock, Ga.
- Fifth Vice President – Hashim Zaibak, Milwaukee, Wisc.