NEW YORK – The ninth annual NRF Foundation Honors event here on January 14 raised more than $3 million to support careers in retail.
The event, which drew more than 800 people to the New York Marriott Marquis in Midtown, celebrated industry leaders, awarded student scholarships and showcased retail as an industry with unlimited opportunity.
“Our scholarships, our case competitions and our industry-recognized RISE Up credentials — all our programs are built upon the fact that retail is a great place to start and a great place to grow,” said Adam Lukoskie, the foundation’s executive director. “The NRF Foundation is honored to recognize and celebrate young, aspiring and experienced retailers who are the cornerstone and the future of our dynamic industry.”
Presented by American Express and PwC, the 2024 event was co-hosted by two foundation board chairmen — Macy’s Inc. president and CEO-elect Tony Spring and Walmart U.S. President and CEO John Furner.
Ed Stack, executive chairman at DICK’S Sporting Goods, was presented with The Visionary 2024 award in recognition of his leadership of the largest omnichannel sporting goods retailer in the United States.
The List of People Shaping Retail’s Future 2024 was also presented during the festivities. Making the list are:
• Julie Averill, chief information officer and executive vice president at lululemon.
• Heidi Cooley, senior vice president Co and chief marketing officer at Crocs.
• Yael Cosset, senior vice president and chief information officer at Kroger.
• Harley Finkelstein, president of Shopify.
• Jungmin Kang, founder and CEO of Snoopslimes.
• Mecca Mitchell, senior vice president of leadership and organizational development, DEI and community impact at Burlington Stores.
The event included announcements of the NRF Foundation’s scholarship recipients. Kev Addison of Indiana University is the top recipient in the 2024 NRF Foundation Next Generation Scholarship, presented by SAS.
Aly Chew, Rajvi Dharamshi, Allie Gress and Krysta Mendoza of Drexel University were named the top team in the 2024 NRF Foundation Student Challenge competition, presented by Kohl’s.
Additionally, Dublin City Schools of Dublin, Ohio, was honored as the 2024 RISE UP Partner of the Year.