NEW YORK — Compostable birch cutlery, artisanal Italian soda and aromatherapy shower spray are among the winners of a 2021 Salute to Excellence award from the Private Label Manufacturers Association.
Announced Friday, the award winners were chosen from over 770 recently introduced food, beverage, kitchen, household and health & beauty care product submissions by 52 North American retailers. This is the highest number of submissions PLMA has received for Salute to Excellence since its inception.
Among the trends: eco-friendly household goods, organic foods and baking products, specialty beverages and easy-to-use self-care products. These include:
– Equate Eucalyptus Congestion Relief & Aromatherapy Shower Spray from Walmart;
– Mini Rose Hydrosol from 365 by Whole Foods Market;
– Bamboo Bath Tissue from Sprouts;
– Total Home Earth Essentials Compostable Birch Cutlery from CVS;
– Seven Farms Organic Vanilla Almond Granola from Federated Group;
– Organic White Jasmine Rice from Thrive Market;
– Lidl Organic Coconut Flour;
– Culinaria Raspberry-Lemon Italian Soda from Schnuck Markets;
– Nature’s Nectar Aloe Vera Drink from Aldi;
– Kroger Hydro Go Caffeinated Water.
“The award winners exemplify how store brands go above-and-beyond consumer expectations,” said PLMA President Peggy Davies. “They represent exceptional quality, value and innovation.”
All submissions were grouped in one of several categories, including Meal Preparation, Food for the Family, Healthy Eating, Beverages, Snacks, Bakery & Desserts, Dairy, Health & Beauty and Home & Household.
Each product was evaluated by a panel of professional and consumer judges on several criteria, including taste and sensory appeal, packaging, presentation and value for money.
PLMA’s Salute to Excellence competition was created in 1986 to recognize retailers for their commitment to the growth and success of store brands. The annual judging of store brands products across all food and beverage and home and health categories began in 2006.