VALLEY FORGE, Pa. – The AmerisourceBergen Foundation, an independent not-for-profit charitable giving organization focused on supporting health-related causes that enrich the global community, has committed more than $150,000 to organizations providing aid and supporting relief efforts in communities in the United States, Haiti, Afghanistan, and Turkey that have been affected by natural disasters and crises.
The targeted donations will support relief efforts in communities in the United States that experienced widespread destruction caused by Hurricane Ida, and in Turkey, where large-scale wildfires and floods have caused severe damage across the country. In August, the Foundation made donations to support relief efforts in Haiti, where a 7.2-magnitude earthquake hit the country’s southwestern region. The Foundation’s support will also help organizations focused on delivering aid to people in Afghanistan amid the escalating humanitarian crisis.
“It’s heartbreaking to see the severe devastation in communities around the world,” said Gina Clark, president of the AmerisourceBergen Foundation. “As an organization committed to supporting efforts that expand global access to healthcare, we recognize the urgent need for medical supplies, emergency care and relief services following a natural disaster or amid a deepening humanitarian crisis. Through partnerships with nonprofits that are leading relief and assistance efforts in these communities, we hope to provide the support they need to continue to deliver critical services during these crises.”
The Foundation has committed support to the following organizations:
- Americares: As a health-focused relief and development organization, Americares is bringing emergency medical and relief supplies to Haiti, including medicine, surgical and wound care products, intravenous fluids, personal protective equipment (PPE) and hygiene products.
- Partners in Health (PIH): A nonprofit that focuses on bringing modern medicine to the poorest and sickest communities in the world, PIH is distributing supplies and deploying medical response teams to hard-hit communities in Haiti to provide trauma and emergency care.
- International Rescue Committee (IRC): The IRC responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises. The organization, which estimates that more than 18 million Afghans require humanitarian assistance, launched a campaign to provide urgent humanitarian aid, emergency cash assistance and protection services for internally displaced people in Kabul.
- Women for Afghan Women (WAW): WAW helps Afghan women and girls exercise their right to pursue their individual potential, self-determination, and representation in all areas of life—political, social, cultural, and economic. During the crisis in Afghanistan, the organization has continued to provide shelter, resources, and aid to the thousands of people under its care.
- United Way of Southeast Louisiana: The nonprofit launched a Hurricane Ida Relief Fund that will support immediate relief efforts and long-term rebuilding, as well as community grants to partner organizations providing direct services to assist with disaster recovery.
- Wings of Rescue: Wings of Rescue flies at-risk pets from disaster areas and overcrowded shelters to shelters where there is empty kennel space.
- Direct Relief: Direct Relief, which provides essential medical resources for people affected by poverty and for communities impacted by emergencies, is supporting relief efforts led by AKUT Arama Kurtarma Dernegi, Turkey’s oldest and largest volunteer search and rescue group.
The Foundation has committed to match AmerisourceBergen team member donations made to select organizations mentioned above through the Foundation’s matching gift program, myCommunityImpact, by 200 percent.
As the philanthropic arm of AmerisourceBergen Corporation, the Foundation is aligned in its mission to support efficient and safe access to pharmaceutical care around the globe. During times of need, it is the collection of AmerisourceBergen, its associates and the Foundation that come together united in a responsibility to create healthier futures to effectively support relief efforts. Together, these organizations work tirelessly around the clock to expand access to quality healthcare, improve patient outcomes and ensure that healthcare providers are able to receive the products they rely on to treat those who are immediately impacted. For more information about the AmerisourceBergen Foundation, visit www.amerisourcebergenfoundation.org.