ALEXANDRIA, Va. – The Pharmacy Quality Alliance (PQA) Board of Directors approved its 2021 Executive Committee during its 2020 fourth quarter meeting. In addition, all 21 Board members agreed to continue their service in 2021, as the organization welcomes a new CEO on February 1 as part of a planned leadership transition. The Executive Committee appointments were effective January 1.
“PQA’s Board represents a diverse group of thought leaders and experts in healthcare, who understand how medication optimization improves patient outcomes and supports a value-based care system,” Laura Cranston, PQA Chief Executive Officer, said. “We are delighted that every Board member will continue their service in 2021, as PQA completes a planned leadership transition and continues to navigate through the COVID-19 pandemic.”
Jerry Penso, MD, MBA, President and Chief Executive Officer at AMGA, will serve as PQA’s Board Chair in 2021. Penso has been a member of the PQA Board since 2016. As leader of AMGA, a trade association that represents the nation’s top performing medical groups and health systems, he has overseen quality programs that have improved care for more than 26 million patients. Penso succeeds Jamie Chan, PharmD, Vice President, Clinical Quality at Blue Shield of California, who served as PQA’s Board Chair in 2020. Chan will continue as a Board member.
“Ensuring high quality care is an imperative that requires cooperation from all sectors of the U.S. healthcare system. As COVID-19’s devastating effects continue to batter the nation, collaboration is now more important than ever,” Penso said. “For this reason, I am eager to continue my work with PQA, its board, and its members to further unify the provider and pharmacy communities.”
PQA’s Board, including its Executive Committee, represents the breadth and diversity of PQA’s multi-stakeholder membership. In addition to Penso, the 2021 Executive Committee includes:
- Michael Duteau, President, Noble Health Services (Vice Chair)
- Vikki Ahern, Senior Vice President and Plan President of Medicare Part D, Magellan Rx Management (Secretary)
- Anne Burns, Vice President, Professional Affairs, American Pharmacists Association (Treasurer)
- Mike Taday, Vice President, Pharmacy Clinical Strategies and Operations, Humana (Member at Large)
- David Medvedeff, Chief Executive Officer, Aspen RxHealth (Past Chair)
Micah Cost, PharmD, MS, will be PQA’s CEO effective February 1. As CEO, he will serve as an ex officio member of the Board.
Other Board members, in addition to Chan, include:
- Mike Anderson, Chief Executive Officer, Medicare Part D, United Healthcare
- Christie Boutte, Senior Vice President, State Strategic Affairs and Advocacy, National Association of Chain Drug Stores
- Susan Cantrell, Chief Executive Officer, AMCP
- Lou Dallago, Vice President, Channel Management, Pfizer, Inc.
- Linda Garrelts MacLean, Vice President, Community Pharmacy Foundation, Interim Dean, Washington State University College of Pharmacy and Pharmaceuticals Sciences
- Rick Gates, Senior Vice President, Pharmacy and Healthcare, Walgreens Boots Alliance
- Ronna Hauser, Vice President, Policy and Government Affairs Operations, National Community Pharmacists Association
- Sharon Jhawar, Chief Pharmacy Officer, SCAN Health Plan
- Jeffrey Kelman, Chief Medical Officer, Center for Medicare at the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS)
- Bhavesh Modi, Vice President, Pharmacy, Healthfirst
- Cynthia Pigg, Senior Vice President, Commercial Market Pharmacy Leader, Aon
- Jason Spangler, Executive Director, International Healthy Policy and Population Health, Amgen
- Troy Trygstad, Executive Director, CPESN USA
PQA has four 2020 Board liaisons, who provide additional insights and counsel relevant to PQA’s multi-stakeholder members. They are:
- Alan Balch, CEO, Patient Advocacy Foundation
- Michelle Ketcham, Director, Division of Clinical and Operational Performance, CMS
- Tripp Logan, Chief Operating Officer and Pharmacy Consultant, ESPhA, and MedHere Today Consulting
- Jeff Rochon, President and CEO, Pace Alliance
Comments are closed.