“Our commitment to the patients and customers we serve is at the heart of everything we do, and especially now, we’re taking every step possible to help ensure people have access to the medications and other essentials they need,” said Alex Gourlay, president of Walgreens. “Many of our communities are hurting right now and we’re doing everything we can to provide care and support for our customers and team members, while also contributing to the healing so sorely needed nationwide.”
To help ensure continuity of patient care and access to prescriptions for customers whose local Walgreens store may be temporarily closed at this time, the company is doing the following:
- Proactive Patient Outreach: Walgreens pharmacy staff is contacting individuals via phone, text and email to discuss their medication needs and help direct them as appropriate to the nearest Walgreens for their prescription needs, care and support.
- Pharmacists Outreach to Patients with Complex Conditions: Walgreens pharmacists are also contacting those who require high touch care, such as senior patients and those with chronic or complex conditions, to provide individualized support and solutions for their medication and health care needs.
- Free Prescription Delivery: Walgreens is continuing to waive delivery fees on eligible prescriptions to ensure patients can get their medications from the safety of their home.
- Pharmacist Chat: Those who have questions about their medications can talk to a Walgreens pharmacist using the Pharmacist Chat feature available 24/7 on Walgreens mobile app or website. Walgreens has recently expanded the platform to include video chat with pharmacists.
- Walgreens store locator and app: Customers can find the latest store status information, which is updated continuously throughout the day, by visiting the store locator on Walgreens.com and Walgreens mobile app.
The overwhelming majority of Walgreens 9,200 stores are open. However, for those that remain temporarily closed due to damage, Walgreens is continuing to work as quickly as possible to re-open these impacted stores. In the meantime, phone lines at temporarily closed locations are being automatically redirected to a nearby Walgreens location to further assist customers in these areas.
All COVID-19 testing sites at Walgreens locations remain open with normal operating hours.